Friday, June 24, 2011

Chickens and Apples

Saturday night, we moved the chickens from their brooder pens to their new coop and yard outside.  A little timid at first, they mostly stayed huddled together near the door to the coop, but after a few hours they seemed to be enjoying all that space to run around and flap their wings.  The first night in the coop went well and they all came running down the ramp Sunday morning, all was good with the chickens..... Sunday evening rolls around and we discover poor little chicken had been eaten (not sure by what), we found her in the silo.  We filled in some holes around our barn with concrete and set a trap for whatever animal it was.  We have not lost another chicken, so I am hoping that it has moved on.

I have some exciting news for you all.... our baby apple tree's have baby apples on them!!!!!! Here at the farm we are so excited.  We were told that most likely we wouldn't get any apples till next year at the earliest.  Not sure if they will get big enough to eat or anything.  Guess we'll find out in the fall.

I got some more pea's off my vines, but the strawberries are not bouncing back from their transplant and two extremely hot day's out of the ground.... I'll have to find a u-pick place around here so I can try my hand at canning jam.  Hubbs is going to make another raised bed for me on Sunday, so I will tray again with the corn, beans and watermelon, hopefully Romeo won't eat them this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment