Friday, July 6, 2012

A Little Update

I know that I promised I was going to update more, unfortunately that has not happened like I wanted it too.  I am trying to be better at this blogging stuff, not only to share with my family and friends, but so I can have a record of the first years of us farming/self-sufficient lifestyle.  With it being so hot (above average) not much has been going on but there are a few things going on.

Finally a bit of rain hit us the other morning, my garden kind of sprang into action that afternoon, plants got a little taller, though I am not sure if that's cause they were wilting and they just stood up or if they actually grew.  With all the heat and no rain my plants are not doing well at all, they are short or just didn't grow at all.  On the good front I managed to get 1 radish and about 1/2 pound of strawberries, there are green tomato's and little tiny cucumbers and my potato's are growing like crazy.  I'm keeping a hopeful eye on my watermelon and corn they have sprouted and are growing like crazy.  My pumpkins so far have give me one tiny little plant that I plan on giving special attention too, I am determined to get at least one pumpkin that I grew myself.  Beans are little plants that I have pretty much given up on, carrot's and snow pea's never grew from seed at all.  In other words my garden did better than last year but my second year is not doing that much better.  I hope next year is good, especially since I plan to expand a little each year.

On to the next update: Poultry, ahh Poultry.  All are doing well in our second year.  Out of the 40 new chickens that we bought in the spring we still have all of them.  Whoop!!!!!  We did end up with a few males, so those will become our dinner this fall, and I have a silverlaced coochin who is determinly sitting on an egg just one and it wasn't even her egg, she did have 4 but she keeps breaking them, but with this last one she seems to be trying to be very careful maybe in a couple of weeks we will have a little chick made right here on the farm.  The turkeys are also doing well they are bigger than the 2 we had last year, though they are the same breed.

That my friends is what has been going on besides the usual work and other life events.

ps as soon as I post this I will be working on a photo update as well. (it will be up soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment