Saturday, December 24, 2011

Turkey's and Santa

I am pretty sure it won't be a white Christmas on the farm this year, the sun was out this morning melting away the light dusting of snow we recieved last night.  Oh well I am sure the chickens appreciate it, they do not like walking in the snow.  This morning I opened the coop door and nothing.. usually they all run out to peck the ground... then slowly a couple of the ladies started inching thier way down the ramp, concerned I opened the big door to find them all standing in a line waiting to get out.. guess those first girls really didn't like the snow.

The turkey's we bought and raised over the spring and summer grew up big and healthy!! One supplied us with a delicious Thanksgiving dinner and the other has been dropped off to my aunt's house and is being prepared for a Christmas Feast!!!  Many people have asked me how I can I eat something I raised from a baby, "wasn't I attached to it" "didn't it upset me" (these were the more tame comments I recieved) my answer is I live on a farm I respect the lives of the animals that I raise in the sunshine, tall grass and clover, give them treats of fresh pea's plucked right off the vine, and in return the animal supplies my family with fresh, delicious chemical and hormone free food, that not only do I know where it came from but what went into it, and the added benefit of knowing that the animal had a good life, with shelter, good food and lot's of time to run around and be happy!  We had several people who asked if they could get a turkey from us next year too, so all in all not a bad response.  We did decide to purchase 4 turkey's in the spring 2 for us and 2 to sell.  It should prove interesting, turkey's were lot's of fun to raise.  I learned a lot from those two birds.

It's Christmas Eve, at the farm we are all ready for Santa to come tonight!!  We've been watching his progress on the Norad Santa tracker.  I am currently at work, a little bummed as I won't be able to join my husband and son at the in-laws house for good food, laughs and grandkids.

No comments:

Post a Comment