Friday, April 8, 2011

as, perhaps  you know from my previous post I planted some sugar snap peas yesterday.  it was surprisingly easy I purchased a jiffy starter kit which consisted of some peat pellets that expand once you add water to them.  they expanded to really tall tubes hmmm I didn't think that i had needed that much dirt, so I re-read the carton and discovered that it was actually a starter kit for tomato plants oopppss oh well live and learn and remember to read the package.  I am sure they will work out just fine, though I am withholding judgement on my growing abilities until they sprout and i transplant them to the garden and harvest them, only then will I say I successfully gardened mainly because all previous attempts at growing things have ended in total failure.

Mother Nature has decided that perhaps spring can finally make an appearance here in Michigan, it is suppose to be in the low 60's on Saturday. whooo hooo!!!!! which means it's a work day at the farm, our plans include debris pickup: trash, rocks, branches and other yard waste, start planting the apple and pear trees, pound the fence posts for the chicken and turkey pens, work on the chicken coop, buy seed and seed the 3-4 acres we plowed in the fall, we are thinking about a clover and rye grass mix the clover to attract the bee's and the rye cause it grows quickly.  we need bee's for the fruit trees I very much would like to get our hive of bees or maybe even two, however I don't feel quite ready to jump into that just yet so in the mean time we are going to try and attract some local bee's to our trees I feel a lot of research and maybe even some classes are in order before I try to become a beekeeper as well,  I know a lot of people say it's easy and there is not much work involved but I am still a little leery of the bees if we decide to go that route it won't be until the next year or two. in the mean time I am researching bee's and watching video tutorials about beekeeping  it's very interesting and I am learning a lot of new information about bee's.

Even with all the work we have planned for this weekend, we are planning on some fun too. on Saturday the hubbs and I will hopefully be able to squeeze in a motorcycle ride with some friends and on Sunday I have a meeting with some other family members about planning our upcoming family reunion and I am sure my son would love to get out in the warm weather and play with his friends.

My Burpee seed catalog came in the mail today!!!! super excited it's filled with lot's of seeds and starter plants. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment