Thursday, April 28, 2011

Birthdays, Rain and a mouse in my pocket


I know it's been a while since I posted last, a lot's been going on here at the Farm and with my "regular" job, I work at a Hospital and have my own photography company Reflections and Dreams Photography.  It was also my birthday and my granddaughter's birthday and Easter.  Grab a cup of tea or whatever you like to drink and I'll fill ya in.

Rain Rain Rain.... that's all it's been doing for the last couple of weeks with one day of sunshine thrown in here and there. Don't get me wrong I know that April showers bring May flowers, but, really I am kind of done with the rainy and super windy days I wanna be outside on my farm.

Currently all the apple trees, 18 of them are planted in the ground and even have buds on them.  The 2 pear trees are also in the ground and budding.  This makes me very very happy and the hubbs too,  especially since it was his idea to do the orchard.  We do plan on getting more tree's for the orchard and hopefully that will happen this summer.  DJ (my son) and the hubbs made me my first ever raised garden bed, and it's pretty awesome.  I planted my pea's that I had started inside out in the garden I am surprised to see them still doing so well since when I planted them it was raining and 37 degree's out.   However, it's been too windy to start them up the trellis they keep breaking so for now I am just leaving them lay on the ground, and keeping my fingers crossed.   I can't believe how fast George and Martha Washington are growing (that's the turkeys)  every time I look at them they look bigger and more like an adult turkey.   We bought them a hutch and pen and have moved them outside, Easter was the first day they spent outside we brought them in at night for the first two days but now they stay outside all the time and seem to be enjoying the green grass, worms and bugs they are finding.   In a few more weeks we are gonna add some panels to the pen so they have a bit more room to run around in.  Still working on the chicken coop and their yard too.  This morning I cleaned out the brooder with a bit of bleach water, cleaned the thermometers and the chicken wire top, and it sits waiting for it's new occupants who will be here in about 5 days!!!! So excited can't wait to get that box from Murray McMurray and here those little peep peep sounds.   We ordered 9 female and 1 male Silver Laced Wyndotte's, 6 female Creveours, 4 White Crested Polish and 5 Silver Laced Cochin's at a st run.  Plus they send you a free exotic chick so I can't wait to find out what that one is.

Easter, was also my birthday this year, and it just happened to turn out that I had a 3 day weekend, which I made the most of!!!!!  Friday I planted my pea's, and then had an appointment for my Photography company they came out here to my house (too bad it was too cold and rainy to take the photo's of the baby outside) then it was off to a birthday party with some family who also have birthday's in April, good company, good food and lot's of laughs.  My Aunt Pam bought me bunches of stuff for canning, and I am so so super excited to try some of that out this fall!!!! I also got a Mini Rose bush from my Aunt Karen and a garden Gnome from my Aunt Julie... he is not yet out in the garden I used him on my Easter table as a centerpiece.  I am pretty sure that little gnome is glad he is out of the cold.  Saturday is the day we went out and bought the turkey hutch and pen as well as some other stuff from our trusty Tractor Supply company, and the day we finished planting the tree's.  My hubbs that wonderfully sweet man I am married too took me out to a fab place called "Oasis spa and garden" it is a place that has small themed rooms where you soak for an hour in a hot tub!!!!!  We had an outside room so we sat and relaxed under the stars plus we had cupcakes in the shape of a chicken!  Easter Sunday we each got a basket from the bunny.  Since we were having people over we didn't dawdle to long with the baskets though, we finished some errands and got ready cooking and cleaning.  The Egg hunt was lot's of fun we hid candy and some really good gift cards in Camouflaged eggs even the "big" kids got in on the action once they learned there was a $25 American express gift card somewhere out there.  The camo eggs where really hard to see, even when you knew where they were.  More good company and good food.

Saved the funny story for last
 Thursday morning, the hubbs and I were woken by a the thump and bang of Romeo (the cat) trying to dismantle the radiator cover in our bedroom, upon inspection we discovered there was a little mouse hidding along the pipe.. so we put out some glue traps... later in the morning I found the cat on one end and the dog on the other end of the radiator the little mouse would run towards Romeo and he would bat in back down the pipe then Napoleon would try to lick it and it would run back towards Romeo... this went on for sometime, I left for work thinking that one of them would get the mouse or the one of the traps would.  When I got home from work I didn't see the mouse any where in the radiator, so thought that one of them had gotten it..... oh how wrong I was!!!! the next morning I picked up my folded up jeans of the floor of my bedroom and that little mouse came flying out of them all disoriented both the cat and the dog came up to it and sniffed it but did nothing! that's right not a thing there I am yelling and screaming and dancing around in my undies and a t-shirt and the two of them just sat there sniffing the mouse, my 10 year old son had to get a glove and some paper towel and take it outside...

No comments:

Post a Comment